Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Jig!

I did some layout for a jig to hold the seat tube/BB shell joint while brazing.

I used a piece of MDF as the platform and stiffened it up with some aluminum angle.

I drilled a hole near the bottom and brought a 1/2" bolt up through with a 2" washer underneath.

I put another washer down on the topside and then place the shell on that with another washer topping it off with a nut.

The tube is then put into the BB shell at its proper location. Then the nut is tighten to lock it down.

I will add a toggle clamp that will hold the tube into the tube block.

There is access through the back side to heat and braze the side that would be blocked from the jig. If this turns out to be a good setup, I will remake this jig out of aluminum to be used more permanently. I will let you know how it works out!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Should work Wil.

Unknown said...

Craig,
Thanks for saying. I remember, I think, a fork jig you made got burned up a bit. I am sure this is going to burn. I will remake it out of aluminum if it turns out to be a good design.

Wil

Unknown said...

Maybe tack it and pin it in the jig, then take it out for the braze?