Sunday, February 14, 2010

The "Hockey Stick"

I built another jig that held the head tube / down tube joint so that I could braze it. It was designed very similarly to the first jig I made that was used for the seat tube / BB shell joint. The tubes were positioned into there 72 degree angle and the tube blocks were mounted to the plate (MDF). I stiffened the back with aluminum angle as the other jig. I cut out a section near the lug so that I could access both side of the joint as well as the top and bottom. Below is a picture of the braze right after I turned off the torch. I can't tell how well I got it. I will know more after I soak it. I think I have some globbing on some of the shorelines and I see a problem with the bottom of the lug lifting from the down tube. This problem is solved with a c-clamp but it was tight when I started. Unfortunately, I think this joint has to come apart.

No comments: