Friday, December 18, 2009

Fear not the torch...

...but the hand that wields it! The torch is a tool and it is an extension of your capabilities. It does exactly what you ask of it. Below is a practice braze with 56% silver on 4130 steel. They both have a .058" wall thickness therefore a 5/8" tube slips into a 3/4" tube with a perfect gap for brazing. This is after it is all cleaned up.



And the shadow line that is at the center of the picture where the two tubes join is the only area where I did not pull silver all the way through the joint. It is hard to see through the flux and I didn't see this area until after I soaked it. I am very please how this joint came out. No wasted silver! I will now move on to some more practice joints that require a multitude of skills.



Stay tuned!

No comments: